What Can Omega-3 Fatty Acids Do For You
The following article is about What Can Omega-3 Fatty Acids Do For You. Omega-3 fatty acids, they are the essential fatty acids, because the body can’t produce them by itself and needs to be provided with them fatties from external sources — the foods in your diet. While the stigma that fat is bad prevails nowadays, it is definitely not entirely true, let’s see why and what are the benefits of omega-3 fatty acids.
The omega-3 fatty acids belong to the polyunsaturated fats and are absolutely essential for an overall healthy functioning of the entire body. While research on the subject of omega-3 fatty acids’ benefits to us humans is still ongoing, quite a few advantages are established and make omega-3 a vital part of our daily diet in order to stay healthy both in body and mind.
Symptoms Of Omega-3 Deficiency
- Skin problems, such as red patches and acne
- Heart disease
- Mental illness, depression
- Poor eyesight
Benefits Of Omega-3 Fatty Acids
- Improved overall brain functioning
- Skin re-invigoration
- Helps overcome depression
- Joint lubrication, aids alleviation of stiffness
- Boosts fat metabolism–as in–some weight loss
- Helps fight bad LDL cholesterol in the arteries by introducing good HDL cholesterol which reduces the former
- Cardiovascular health
Omega-3 Daily Dosage
- Cold water fish: salmon, mackerel, tuna
- Flax-seeds, flax-seed oil
- Olive oil
- Omega-3 capsules — a supplementation, very convenient and cheap
Omega-3 To Omega-6 Ratio
Omega-6 is also beneficial to our health but to an extent, it needs to be of about the ratio of 3:1, first being omega-6. An average person consumes MUCH higher amounts of omega-6 (to an extent where it’s about 20 times the omega-3 consumption), which is prevalent in meats.
Omega-6, unlike its counterpart omega-3, doesn’t help prevent inflammation, on the contrary — it promotes it. So, there needs be a balance between the two, for optimal health benefits. If this seems too much for you to implement into your lifestyle, for the meantime, incorporate more omega-3 fatty acids into your diet.